Friday, January 27, 2012

Sacred Sleep

Having a baby means relinquishing control over elements of your life that you never thought you'd let someone else dictate. Most of these elements aren't so bad. I take my baby to work with me, I eat when I get a chance, I take her to various meetings, lunch dates, shopping trips etc... I can maintain most of my life with some adjustments. But sleep is a whole other thing.

My baby won't go to sleep at night. I spent two hours trying to put her down. I tried holding her, swaddling, feeding, covering her in a heated blanket, singing, shushing, following her sleep cues, changing her position in the crib, massage, teething medicine, warm water. But after two hours of trying to make sleep a non-negative event I just let her scream herself to sleep. An hour and a half later, she was up again. Then again at 4:30. And she doesn't just lie there anymore. Oh no, she pulls herself up to standing and watches me from her crib. She watches me, and she yell cries at me!

I make a lot of changes at the whim of my baby. But now I'm being taunted by a 7 month old! It's as though she's standing in her crib saying, "MOM!!! YOU DON"T GET TO DO ANYTHING UNLESS I SAY SO!!!"

Sure, people warn you that you'll not get any sleep after you have a baby. I even had a couple months where she slept 6 hours uninterrupted. It was a lie! A bait and switch!
I was warned I'd lose sleep after my baby was born. No one said you're baby would mock you! I'm exhausted, she's exhausted, my whole family that has to hear her all night is exhausted. Where's the off button? WHERE IS IT?!!!

This baby seems cute and innocent right?
WRONG. The truth is he's trying
to BREAK YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment