Monday, September 24, 2012

Tying Up Loose Ends

This morning, Paul and I met up with our real estate agent and the inspector to get the house inspected. Fortunately it all checked out in pretty good condition and there isn't really much we have to do to it short of personal preferences. I was driving back to Lincoln to get some more work done and it hit me, once we buy this house, so many of the works in progress we've had over the last few years will finally be resolved.

We've been in a perpetual state of anticipation basically since we got married. I've been anticipating finding a teaching job, we've anticipated Charlotte's arrival, we anticipated buying this house. Lately we've been extremely busy with trying to get the last smidgeons of summer enjoyed (aka camping), visiting Paul's family, my prepping for the Met Audition, and now I feel like I'm never caught up on work for my new teaching jobs. I didn't realize until today that in addition to a voice lesson, a parent night, a coaching, a workshop, and my voice studio lessons, I had forgotten about the alumni reunion concert and rehearsal schedule. Oh yeah, and my birth center's bi-annual picnic is this Saturday (nicely fitted between rehearsals I must say).  These things have felt so far away for so long, it's just crazy how they've all managed to manifest at once. I'd be overwhelmed by it, but I don't have time.

I could probably complain about how hard my life is and how tired I am. But I have never been so happy and excited to be this busy. The hours I do spend with Charlotte feel like they matter more. I feel so much more patient with her and happier to play with her and give her the amount of attention that she wants. Charlotte now gets the benefit of having her days spent with dad in the mornings, grandma in the afternoon, and mom in the evening. It's not the stay-at-home mom situation I had pictured, but I kind of feel like it's almost better. She gets the best of all of us because her time with us is concentrated in a way. Dr. Laura can criticize all she wants. My working and self-betterment make me a better mom.

Now that so many chapters are coming to a close it seems like we should be able to just settle into our routines. We should, but I am really looking forward to the next chapter. Growing my choir programs, advancing in my singing career, watching Charlotte grow up, perhaps having more kids. Now without so many things looming everything else seems so much more doable! Anything is possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment