Monday, August 13, 2012

High Chair Happiness!

Last night Paul and I drove back from Seaside with Charlotte leaving my parents, sister and grandpa to enjoy a day baby free. It was rather nice getting to spend time with my husband alone, even if it was only a few hours (he had to get up early this morning for work). Before we left for the beach, Caitlin accompanied me to Babies'R'Us before my voice lesson to purchase a high chair. I spent this morning cooking up scrambled eggs and hash browns and feeding my baby who is still thrilled with the novelty of her high chair. 

The high chair is something we have put off for quite awhile...obviously about a year. I tend to be rather picky - which I've stated before - about baby products. I don't like things with patterns and too many noises, lights, and gadgets. I like simple things and I like them to be functional. The problem is that functional simple things tend to be twice as expensive as plastic things covered in animal and flower prints. Another difficulty is that things tend to be extremely gender specific, especially when it comes to girls stuff. I've gone out of my way to keep things fairly gender neutral in case we have a boy the next time around. I would feel bad putting my little man in a pink high chair.

I hadn't really shopped much for a chair when I saw this chair on display at Babies R Us. I had assumed we'd probably just get a chair from Ikea. But I saw this and I was sold - especially when the 20% off coupon worked for it! 

The pads are neutral colors, it's very easy to clean, the tray is huge and removable for cleaning. I also like the piece that blocks the crotch so food stays in her lap and the dog can't get it (she likes to feed the dog). The whole thing collapses flat and is on wheels making it easy to move it out of the way when it's not being used. The height is adjustable so that it can be used as a chair at the table, and the seat reclines which might be nice for an infant later. For a baby that likes to climb and stand in high chairs, I really liked the comfortable harness in it as well. So far she hasn't Houdini'd her way out yet, and even better she hasn't thrown a fit because she's contained.

Chicco Polly Magic High Chair
It's probably on the fancier side of plastic high chairs, but I figure it'll get plenty of use. I was interested in the stokke chair, but it's about $100 more, and even though it can be used by any sized person baby to adult, I kind of wanted something that would contain my busy baby better and the stokke chair design doesn't really fit with my other chairs all that well.  

I've only had this chair about 3 days now, so I can't really attest to its long term usability, but I'm happy so far. I felt extra mom-tastic this morning cooking up breakfast and feeding my baby in it. I imagine this must be how most normal people feed their toddler. No wonder people have high chairs earlier!

No comments:

Post a Comment