Thursday, April 14, 2011

Noodles! (In HD!)

I have just successfully completed my first attempt at making homemade noodles - just like my oma (oma being the german word for grandma) used to make. Although she didn't have a Kitchenaid mixer. To celebrate I took pictures and got flour all over my phone so I could make a photo post about it. I also figured out how to use the HD setting on my phone so these photos are of the utmost phone quality!

Before I started taking pictures I mixed the dough with a dough hook in my pretty green mixer. I got dough all over my hands because the hook doesn't quite get all the flour mixed in from the bottom, but it did all get mixed. If I had kneaded it by hand, I probably would have had to add more selmolina flour from the beginning rather than when I started rolling it out.
The picture's a little bit blurry. It took me a few tries to figure out how to handle the dough. It's really sticky! The package directions said to "lightly flour" the surface to roll it out. If by "lightly" they meant "over-generously" then I got it right!

I started out trying to use a knife to cut the strips and then I remembered the pizza cutter. Way easier! Now if I had a pasta machine to roll out the dough, that would have probably been even easier. Oma had a pasta roller, so in this respect I got to be more rustic!

Initially I was trying to keep the noodles all separated and spread out. This didn't last after a whole pin full fell off onto the sheet in a pile. Then I remembered that oma sprinkled the noodles rather than laying them out flat so I changed my approach.

I made the filling for this pie a couple days ago. I decided to unroll the pre-made pie dough and bake it while the pasta dough was resting. It didn't occur to me that I'd used all the eggs for the noodles so I couldn't glaze the lattice work on the top to make it all shiny.

A clean kitchen is a happy kitchen!

All of the noodles that my bag of bob's selmolina flour made. This should last a meal or two I hope. Who wants to be invited over for dinner?!

Sewing took a backseat today. I was debating about finishing the burp cloths I cut out last weekend (a few are folded under the iron) but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Noodles sounded way more exotic and exciting. 
Well, that wraps up my noodle adventure. I promised previously that I would post more pictures of sewing projects and since this is a photo post, I'll post a picture of the finished hoops that I made.

The pink/purple draped on the left is the nursing cover I made. I'm happy with how the hoops turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment