Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pregnancy Power Food!

I just made up another batch of curry chicken salad and I felt the need to share. This is really super good for  pregnancy because of how many elements it incorporates that are healthy! The recipe is loosely based on the one they make at whole foods. I made measurements in ranges because I tend to like more mayo than chutney but I also like my salad dry overall.

4 chicken breasts (good for protein)
1/3-1/2 Cup mayo or yogurt (greek yogurt has more protein)
1/3-1/2 Cup mango chutney
1-3 teaspoons curry powder (good source of iron and vitamin C)
1/2-1 teaspoon turmeric (the main ingredient in curry powder, but I add more for color and extra nutrients)
1-2 stalks chopped celery (contains silica which is great for stretching skin)
1/4-1/2 currants or raisins
handful chopped walnuts (high protein, omega 3's and iron)
handful chopped almonds (good source of folate and helps monitor cholesterol levels)

Cook the chicken breasts however you like your chicken cooked - baked/fried/boiled. I boil mine because it's easy. Chop chicken into cubes. Mix mayo and chutney with curry powder and turmeric. Stir in chicken and rest of ingredients.

I eat this either on whole grain bread (good source of protein and other vitamins) or over spring greens (a good source of iron). Both ways are delicious and I feel like I'm being very well behaved in my eating habits!

No comments:

Post a Comment