Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Registry Ranting

I've been working on putting together our baby registry for probably a month or so now. It's been mostly a little bit of time spent here and there so that it's not quite so overwhelming. That's been part of the game plan anyway. The other part of the plan was to register for things that we would like to have more specifically. For example, I care if I have the puj tub because it's great for saving space, but I don't care what kind of pacifiers, safety kits or bibs we use. It's a bit challenging to really predict what we'll have space for at this point with shopping for a house while living in a one-bedroom apartment, so I've been trying to find things that are pretty simple, inexpensive, and space saving. I've also been trying to find things that could probably be found second-hand.

Simple = $130
That said, this morning I decided to look for a bouncer. This product is really eluding me as far as finding what I want. In my attempt to not be too picky, I'm finding that I'm incredibly picky about this. First of all, I really can't stand stuff that's "too much". This means things with an overabundance of padding, plastic toys, bright colors, busy patterns, and sickening cute themes. I believe I've mentioned this before. Baby gear items are probably the worst offenders so far; gear items being bouncers, high chairs, carriers, swings, floor mats, portable cribs.
Ridiculous = $39
What baffles me is that I thought I'd be able to find something simple for less money. No such luck. Apparently simple equals expensive. My favorite bouncer, the baby bjorn babysitter, retails for $170 typically. I found it for $130. This is close to what the crib costs. Somehow this seems unjustifiable. I don't have many items that are very expensive though so I figure this can be one of my splurges. The video I linked on here sold me on it.

Today I'm at 19 weeks. Sources say that baby can hear sounds outside the womb now. I've decided our baby will probably come out singing Italian art songs since that's what I teach all day and that's what I tend to play on the piano. This has me contemplating the music I may want to have at the birth. I was born to Vivaldi, which I think was a good solid choice. Perhaps I'll make a playlist on my iPod and then whatever it happens to be on when I actually deliver will be a surprise.

I probably have a few more months to get my registry all put together, but I'd like ideas for things to post on it. Here's what I have so far: Registry Link. Seriously. I would love suggestions. So far I've put a few items that are less then gender neutral and will just delete the ones that don't work after the ultrasound. Otherwise, this will basically be my shopping list when the shower is over and I have to figure out what I still need.

2 comments:

  1. You know, the best advice I have to give you is this... Talk to someone who has just had a kiddo, and find out what you ABSOLUTELY must have, and register for JUST THOSE. You can get other stuff later, but most of this stuff you buy isn't useful!

    I can hook you up with a friend of mine who is a nurse and just had her kiddo (about 5 months ago) and can give you some advice!!

    Do you have a baby shower set yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No shower set yet. I think it will probably be end of May or beginning of June. I would like to talk to your friend. I figure too with two friends due soon I'll have a good idea of what works best from them as well. I'm just damn impatient! haha

    ReplyDelete