Saturday, February 12, 2011

Keeping My Butt Alive

One of the changes that happens when you're pregnant is that your hips spread to prepare for childbirth. This happens more for some people than others. Apparently it's happening to me already. The chiropractor has been helping with the pain of this I think, but my low back and my butt are really just achey all of the time.
I was watching the Doctors, which I usually just leave on if it's on, but don't really go out of my way to watch (I kind of find it obnoxious honestly). They had Alison Sweeney as a guest a couple days ago. Alison is the host of the biggest loser and used to be a regular on Days of Our Lives. She was promoting her book about having a fit pregnancy. She then reminded me of one of the major reasons you exercise when you're pregnant. It's not just so that you don't get fat, it's so that your baby doesn't get fat either. Women who exercise through their pregnancy have leaner healthier babies. No, you don't want your baby to have a low birth weight, and no you don't want them to be 12 pounds either! But, you do want your baby to be a healthy weight. There is also proof that when you exercise you have an easier time through labor and delivery, and you have an easier time losing the baby weight later.

She said that with her first baby she didn't exercise and that she wished she had. She didn't lose the baby weight afterward, but with her second, she walked and lifted weights and was much happier and healthier both during and after her pregnancy. She also said she lost the weight within a few months of the birth of her baby. This had me thinking of all those times when people say "I wish I would have..."
This is my chance! This is the only first pregnancy I will ever have. I can either be miserable with back pain and be fat afterward, or I can be proactive and just do the little bit of exercise that would keep me feeling better.

So the last two days I've just done a little bit of walking. Yesterday I did 25 minutes and today I did 30 minutes at a pace of about 20 minutes per mile. This is not really the 13 minute mile I was doing when I was doing couch to 5k but it's a mile none the less. I think a big part of my aversion to exercise thus far has been "What's the point? I'm just going to gain weight anyway!" But in lieu of this interview I remembered that exerciseisn't just about weight loss.

This is a link to Alison Sweeney's book:
The Mommy Diet

No comments:

Post a Comment