Monday, May 23, 2011

Ode to the Bjorn Bouncer

By some miracle I found a bjorn bouncer on craigslist for $50. I e-mailed them Friday night about it hoping that it hadn't been snagged yet. Around 11 on Saturday I still hadn't gotten a response so I tried again. I got an e-mail back right away saying that they still had it and we could come get it. I was so excited we went and got it right away.

Now, I must make mention of the significance of this. I have done tons of research on this bouncer. I have read tons of great reviews, watched videos of kids using it, and basically scoured the internet for months trying to find one that wasn't full price.

Online, a new one retails for about $125. Fancier ones can be around $150+. In stores the only one I found was at Segals for $190. At prices that compare to what you'd spend on a crib or a stroller, I kind of figured it wasn't going to be something anyone would go for off of our registry. It's a bouncer for crying out loud!

These are the key reasons that I felt like it might be worth the extra cost:

  • It grows with baby. It can be used from birth until baby is about 25-30 pounds.
  • It doesn't have tons of stuff all over it. No music, no vibration, no crazy patterns, no toys (unless you add them).
  • It adjusts so that baby is upright enough to see you if you plop her in it to get your hands free or it reclines if they fall asleep in it. 
  • The cover is removable and washable. 
  • The bouncing is good for arm and leg coordination and helps with balance and strength. 
  • There are no belts, buckles, or snaps to manipulate when you put baby it. You just slide them right in and out of the harness.
  • It's very compact. It collapses flat so you can store it easily and is lightweight and easy to carry around if you want to move it or travel with it. 
I've been scouring craigslist nearly every day for months looking for one. I've also been checking consignment shops here and there. Friday was the first time I'd seen one on craigslist since February. These things are hard to find!

So we jumped at the chance to get one. Coincidentally we went to visit our friends Zach & Sarah and their 3-month-old Amy right after we picked it up. I was so excited that Sarah let me test it out on Amy. She loved it. I probably sat and played with her in it for half an hour. After awhile she started to connect the wiggling to the bouncing and her arms and legs were going crazy. Now they want one too! It was really reassuring to have it kid and parent approved especially after so much hassle trying to find one.

I am so glad we found one used that we could afford and now I can't wait to stick Charlotte in it!

Here's some info on it if you are curious.
Official Website
Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment