Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Day of Firsts


 Yesterday was quite the day for little miss Charlotte. We started pretty early with her first trip to the pediatrician. She got weighed and measured. She is 9 pounds, 5.5 ounces and 22 inches now. I had just fed her when Dr. Paul came in to examine her and she was spitting up everywhere. He told me she was in the 15th percentile and that she was underweight, but he did say that she was healthy and gaining which was impressive considering how much she spits up. He recommended I feed her breast milk mixed with some rice cereal a couple times a day and that I feed her more often otherwise. She also had her first round of vaccines. Paul and I decided to have her vaccinated on Dr. Paul's recommended schedule. Dr. Paul's Schedule

I was  bit baffled with the rice cereal. She's only two months old! He told me that researcher are starting to recommend solid foods at 4 months instead of 6 for infants and that our great grandparents would have fed babies solids at 2 months. He also said to do the cereal instead of formula because he hates baby formula. I agree with that part. He comes very highly recommended from multiple trusted sources and I trust him. So last night was also Charlotte's first encounter with solid foods.

He told me to feed her with a coated spoon. I didn't expect her to be able to eat very well from a spoon, but she handled it pretty well. I was really surprised actually at how easily she adjusted, and how quickly she caught on and kept opening her mouth for more! After she finished the cereal I fed her normally and she latched on just fine for that too. I was a bit relieved. Paul took a video.



After her appointment I stopped at the post office to pick up the package with her baltic amber teething necklace. She's been rather drooly and wants to chew so I figured it couldn't hurt to try it. It's really pretty! I guess the idea is that wearing the necklace on your skin warms the amber and it releases oils into your skin and then to your bloodstream that have natural pain and healing properties. The website has more detailed information if anyone's interested: Baltic Amber - Alternative Medicine I figure if it doesn't help with the teething, at least it's a cute keepsake. 

Then we went to visit the in-laws. Charlotte got to meet her Grandpa George and Grandma Carol for the first time. Charlotte fell asleep in Grandma's arms.  It was somewhat challenging spending the day at James & Dori's with the baby. I got up so early to go to the pediatrician that I was in a sleep deprived haze and didn't really pack her diaper bag very well before I left. I ended up with only one diaper pant all day and two burp clothes that quickly became pretty saturated. I managed to get by with hand-washing the diapers, running to the store for disposable diaper pads, and using paper towels instead of burp cloths. We got home pretty late, around 9:30 and then I was reminded of the massive amount of work I still need to get done with the moving stuff. Today I need to finish unpacking boxes so I can take them back to the apartment and fill them again. My mom and I are going to go over this evening and try to finish packing up the pod. 
Living here is already a bit of an adjustment. I bought a gate off craigslist yesterday to put in the hallway so that we can leave our bedroom door open. My mom's dog goes in and lays on our bed and eats our cats food otherwise. There's a bit of a flea problem too. We're trying to figure out the best way to manage the fleas since my mom has set off flea bombs 3 times already and the animals are still infested. Paul's being eaten alive. I'm going to buy him garlic tablets on Friday when he gets paid.

Bailey is starting to get accustomed to his new living quarters as well. Right now he's sleeping on the top of our recliner in the family room. He's getting along great with the other cats but he hates the dog. The picture is of him watching the dog from behind the boxes. Not long after this Bailey had the dog cornered under an end table lol! 

No comments:

Post a Comment