Sunday, March 6, 2011

Being the Mom

I feel very house-wifey this morning. I woke up fairly early (before 8 in my book) and am now executing my master plan to make dutch babies and bacon for breakfast. This is part of project "no eating out". This last week I put the veto on eating anything outside our house. It was okay to buy groceries to make food at home, but we couldn't go anywhere else to eat. It ended up working out pretty well, and I enjoy stopping at the grocery store to pick up the odds and ends we need for dinner. The only other allowance I had was steamers. I'm supposed to get 4 servings of dairy a day and steamers are cheaper than coffee, so I justified it.

This brings me to my next point. At my prenatal appointment Thursday, my midwife gave me the option to be tested for gestational diabetes. There was a list of risk factors on the form such as being over-weight before getting pregnant, being over 25 years old and having a family history. All of these things apply. Then she asked me if I eat very much sugar...."well, I suppose, hm...yeah, actually I eat tons of sugar." Now that I'm paying attention, good lord I eat lots of sugar! I don't really think I have gestational diabetes, but I'm definitely not preventing it with my eating habits. It's amazing to me too how much sugar I was avoiding by eating things with sugar substitutes before as well. Just things like soda, baking, puddings, ice cream etc.. whoa.

They also mentioned at my appointment that there was a spot on the baby's heart in the ultrasound that they didn't know what it was. They said it's probably nothing and I prefer to believe them, so I haven't really been stressing about it. I have to go in for another ultrasound a week from Monday. I'm kind of looking forward to having a second one.

Charlotte is starting to get her kung fu on finally. Mostly what I've been feeling the last couple of weeks has been more like she's wiggling. But the last couple of days when she's more active she gets a good punch or kick in here and there. I could feel her kick me from the outside of my belly when I was lying in bed last night. Paul hasn't been patient enough to just sit and hold his hand on my belly when she's active so he hasn't felt her moving yet, but it won't be long before patience won't be an issue.

The last tidbit is that we found a house we want! There's always something preventing it from working out smoothly for us though. In this case, the house is priced about $7,000 above our budget. We're hoping they'll take the lower offer from us anyway since it's bank owned.

Here's a link to it: House

No comments:

Post a Comment